Thursday, April 3, 2008

Springtime In My Orchard

Attempting to learn new things about computers and/or internet is not my favorite way to spend time. I thought I might try to upload a few pictures, however, it's taking way longer than it should due to my lack of computer savvy. I'll give it a try and see what happens. Xanga is where I usually put up pictures, talk about everyday life, kids, husband and whatnot. I was just going to use Blogger to vent and talk my way along this journey, but venting gets rather dreary and depressing after a while. Anyway, here goes.


This is our orchard. There are several varieties of apple, cherry, pear, peaches, plum, nectarine, apricot, almond, plus elderberry, gooseberry, raspberry, blackberry, blueberry and something I'm sure I've forgotten. When we moved in and were planting the orchard, I was determined that there would be a picket fence around part of it. I had always pictured my girls playing in orchard surrounded by a picket fence. A place where they could hide, daydream, have tea parties with the fairies and tell secrets. You can't see it from this picture, but there is a picket fence. It's not all neat and white but rather weathered and brown and natural - much like the orchard.







There are also day lilies and irises growing between the trees. These are the day lilies - will be bright orange.





The buds are swelling with life. If Mother Nature doesn't send a late frost, we might have a very productive fruit year. One of my spring rituals is to bless our fruit trees. I go to each tree, call it by name (Santa Rosa Plum, Douglas Pear, etc.), thank her for all the food she provides. I ask for good weather, no late frosts, no hail storms, plenty of sun and rain. Then I picture the growth of the fruit, from bud to being covered in blossoms, from small fruit to large fruit ready to be harvested. I see my family eating and enjoying, and I see myself preserving all the bounty for the winter.






There are still crocus blooming. Abby (7 yrs old) had picked every one of the little yellow flowers she could find and presented me with a beautiful bouquet. More have bloomed and they line my front sidewalk.












My favorite spring flower is the daffodil. I still remember the beginning of the poem 'Daffodils' by William Wordsworth:

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils.....

I memorized that for 10th grade English many, many years ago.





Today I used the clothes line instead of the dryer. Actually, there's been quite a few days I could put the clothes out to dry, but I couldn't find the clothes pins. Found them today. Don't you just love clothes that smell of sunshine and fresh air? Don't you just love NOT turning on the dryer and allowing the clothes to dry naturally? I do. I love not using electricity. I love hanging out clothes. Like I love washing dishes by hand.

Well, there's a little taste of life on my side of the planet. Hope your days has been full of blessings.

2 comments:

Kathryn Knoll said...

You remind me so much of Ms.R over at Tales from Ingelwood. If you haven't been there it might be fun to read her posts and get to know her view of the world from down under. The Herb women of old would do just what you do, blessing the earth as you have. When the people were connected to the rhythums of the seasons they probably felt closer to a higher power whatever they called it. Then, God was a "woman" There is a great book out there written by an art historian/archeologist: When God Was a Woman, by Merlin Stone. One of the first books I read on my journey toward the celebration and exploration of feminine consciousness in spirituality and art. You might like it. Many blessings this spring for you. Keep on keeping on!Sr. K

moonsownsister said...

Hello --- I've just found your blog through Sister K's. I'm stumbling along on my own journey, and am always so glad to find another walker on the path!

I'm exploring through art and reading, and floundering. Strongly identifying with you on listening to and owning one's own soul, but finding it challenging to recognize an authentic inner voice amid all the stifling hubbub from the fundamentalist church I was brought up in and the aethestic/agnostic bias of the university system. I want to believe in and feel the feminine God force, but I'm finding it challenging.

I'm a non-Evangelical homeschooler, leaning toward unschooling (although the math worries me).

Good to know you, and thank you for sharing! (I'm lurking here and will be reading some of the books Sister K's recommending. If you'd like to read together and discuss, please email me at (removing all the x's, so the spambots don't find me: txhxexpxlxoxtxcxhxixckensx@xyxaxhxoxo.cxoxm