Friday, March 14, 2008

Does God Abandon Us?

My daughter, Abra, takes piano lessons from our parish DRE for elementary. She is a wonderful woman. My daughter loves her gentle nature and teaching. Plus the teacher loves having Abra once a week for lessons. I truly believe she looks forward to Thursday afternoons when she walks across the hall from her office and enjoys some music. A win-win situation. This lady has been having a very difficult time lately with several issues including depression, financial, an unwell husband. Added to that her sister is dying from cancer.

Yesterday she asked us to pray for her sister. I said, of course we will. I thought perhaps she had gotten worse. Then she explained that her sister is an atheist. She was asking for prayers that her sister would let God in before she dies. Again, I said of course we will pray for your sister to open her whole being to God. Then I said, "But you know, just because your sister says she doesn't need God doesn't mean God has abandoned your sister. God would never abandon any of us." But, you know, I don't think she believes that.

She didn't say this, but this is the feeling she left me with. That unless her sister makes a decision to believe/accept God's existence, that she is all alone, God isn't with her. For God to be with her, she will have to mentally make a decision to open her heart and ask God in.

I do not believe that.

How could God not be a part of us. He is in us. We have God in us. We are part of God. He could not abandon this woman. Also looking at God as Father, how could a Perfectly Loving father abandon his child? As a mother, I could never abandon my children. In the end, that door would always be open and my love would always be there. Even if my child denied me, I would still be there.

How many people view God this way? As a God 'up there', looking down on us here on Earth. They must view God as separate from us. Does our piano teach truly believe that if her sister dies without accepting God, she will not go to heaven. Does she believe God would send her sister to hell? I was afraid to ask. Not only because it's a very touch subject, but also because I don't think I would like the answer.

I read something recently that went like this: In the Old Testament God created man in his own image, and we've been repaying the favor ever since. Yeah, you could say that.

I'm thinking on this. And here comes a heretical sentiment. In the end, does it matter? During life I believe that accepting God's existence can make our life infinitely better, if only on an invisible level. But in the end, is God going to hold it against us if we chose to navigate this world without acknowledging him?

And in this life if a person chooses not to believe in God, does that mean God is no longer in them? He is no longer part of their life?

If I remember correctly, mortal sin kills the life of God in your soul. His grace is gone. I remember a picture from my old Baltimore Catechism of two little kids. One had a heart with a picture of God in it. The other little kid had a black, empty heart. How awful.

What a petty, jealous God.

And what about all the love these non-believers have felt. My b-i-l says he is an atheist. I know he loves his wife, his daughter, his parents, his siblings. He's respectful of people, takes care of this beautiful Earth. Doesn't that love have its own energy? All that love is for naught?

Our piano teacher said her sister doesn't believe in God because her life is so much simpler without God. When I told Tim that, he said it's probably because people (perhaps her family, maybe even her sister) have made God so complicated she doesn't want him in her life. Sadly, I can understand that.

I have more thoughts but am stopping for now.

No comments: